Thursday, June 28, 2012

Nerves!

Today I observed J's nerve ID procedure.  We identified the median palmar digital nerve.  Isn't that so exciting?! J did pretty well under anesthesia, although we did have to bolus fluids for low blood pressure.  He recovered quickly, though, and was up and walking in no time. H & J did an awesome job as surgeons, and props to D for breezing through anesthesia!  I now know to take Ibuprofen that day for my knee since the whole procedure is performed kneeling...yikes.  I dreamed in Large Animal Medicine last night...there IS such a thing as studying too much!  Maybe tonight will be Surgery ;) that will be a nice change of pace.

3 comments:

  1. I'm dreaming of physics over here =(
    pendulums being thrown out of a helicopter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dreamed I was downtown in some city surrounded by tall (4+ story) red brick buildings from which various objects were being thrown with initial velocities and angles of force. It was overcast and dreary, but not especially hot, and it was not raining. I was part of a paramilitary group, but I didn't know any of the other members of my group. We were anticipating being attacked by some gang members or something, and another larger paramilitary group was going to help us because "they owed us one week of help" but I don't know what that meant really. My group and the other paramil group were in vans, I remember that quite clearly. We had stopped the vans in some kind of median, and formed up into a semicircle to wait for the gang members. I felt there was an implication that after that week of help, the other group might attack us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gang members had some kind of helicopter with a forward velocity of 30m/s, and kept trying to determine what speed to throw the golf balls tethered to one another in a "bolo" fashion with a clockwise rotation of 30 revolutions per minute, toward the ground so that both ends of the bolo struck the target someone had painted on top of our van, at the same time. I was thinking the golf balls would also have a 30m/s forward velocity, and a 9.8 m/s2 downward acceleration after they were thrown from the helicopter, but something was wrong with the cosine of the initial trajectory of one of the golfballs (the other was not affected apparently), and the string connecting them had an elastic quality to it that I could not account for in a conventional quadratic equation, (unit analysis is no help in these cases) and consequently they were falling at a rate of speed that varied with the time t the ball was thrown at, but a double integral wasn't sufficient to solve for the constant of the downdraft from the rotor blades, as I was not given the mass of the helicopter from which to calculate the vector for lift.

    There was a pretty substantial exchange of gun fire after that between the three groups, but I don't remember there being blood or death or anything. Maybe even cartoonish in some sense. At one point a member of my group (might have been the leader whose name was Palmar) stabbed a member of the gang group in the chest, then shot him, but he did not die and his chest wound healed up when the knife was removed, which really caused some consternation as he was still under anesthesia and that wasn't supposed to happen, so some bolus fluids were called for. The dream descended into some kind of vampire-y thing after that, where somehow or other the guy had a heart transplant so the heart in his chest wasn't his "vampire heart", therefore the wooden stake thing would not work. I think that's probably a good idea, and if I'm ever turned into a vampire I may seek to have a heart transplant. We evidently were supposed to locate his actual heart, and stake through the actual heart into his chest in order to actually kill him, but as we sorta liked him (he was a young guy) there really didn't seem to be a point to looking for his real heart. It might be the gang was hiding his true heart somewhere, that might be why we were battling them. that and all the stuff they were throwing off the buildings at different initial vectors. There was some debate about whether we had to transplant his true heart back into his chest first and stake him afterward to kill him, but we didn't come to a resolution on that point, and evidently none of us was qualified to do a heart transplant, something about not having the right kind of digital nerve. He didn't seem to mind either way, but he wasn't sure where his real heart was anyway at that point. He was hit in the knee by some kind of bolo-golfball arrangement that came out of basically nowhere, so we gave him some ibuprofin, which seemed to help.

    At no point was I "stressed" or anything in the dream, no "can't escape" feelings or anything. it was not at all nightmarish with regard to my emotional state.

    anyway, that's what I dreamed.

    ReplyDelete